If you want to make cooking rice easy and quick, using a rice cooker is one of the best ways. A rice cooker takes the guesswork out of the equation and makes perfect rice every time. First, however, you may have questions about rice cookers.
For example, how long does a rice cooker take? Generally speaking, you can expect a rice cooker to take between 15 and 40 minutes, depending on the quantity of rice you are cooking. Let’s look at rice cookers, how they work, how long they take, and more.
What is a Rice Cooker, and How Does it Work?
A rice cooker is a very simple kitchen gadget used to cook rice and other types of grains. It’s a straightforward machine that you put rice and water in, set to cook and let it do its work.
Why Use a Rice Cooker?
You might wonder why you would use a rice cooker. After all, a simple saucepan has worked for you for many years, or has it? When you cook rice in a pot, you must watch it to ensure it doesn’t boil over.
However, if you turn the temperature down too low, it won’t cook. A rice cooker takes all of this guesswork out of cooking rice. It selects the perfect temperature to cook your rice, so it never boils over or cooks at a temperature that is too low.
Also, judging when your rice is cooked can be difficult. This is something else that a rice cooker does perfectly because many of them can actually sense when rice is finished cooking.
Using a rice cooker is much faster and easier than cooking rice in a pot, and it always results in perfectly cooked rice.
How Long Does a Rice Cooker Take?
The length of time a rice cooker takes depends on how much rice you are cooking and the type of rice. For example, cooking a small or moderate quantity of white rice will usually take between 15 and 20 minutes.
However, if you are cooking several cups of rice at once, it may take up to 35 or even 40 minutes. Moreover, if you want to cook 1 cup of brown rice, you can expect it to take 45 minutes to an hour to thoroughly cook.
How Much Water Do I Need to Cook Rice in a Rice Cooker?
One of the most important things to know when cooking rice in a rice cooker is how much water to use; the rice to water ratio is essential for getting the right results.
Let’s look at popular types of rice and how much water you need. We will be basing the water quantity on 1 cup of rice.
- For short-grain white rice, use one cup of rice and 1.5 cups of water.
- For medium-grain white rice, use one cup of rice and 1.5 cups of water.
- For long-grain white rice, use one cup of rice and 1.75 cups of water.
- For long-grain brown rice, use one cup of rice and 2.25 cups of water.
- For Jasmine rice or basmati rice, use one cup of rice and 1.5 cups of water.
How to Cook Rice in a Rice Cooker: Steps & Tips
If you follow these steps, you will make perfectly cooked rice every time.
- Measure how much rice you will use and place it in a bowl.
- To prevent the rice from sticking, rinse it in cool water until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in the rice cooker.
- Add as much water as is needed for the quantity and type of rice you are cooking.
- Put the inside pan into the rice cooker shell and add any spices you see fit.
- Press the button to turn the rice cooker on. The rice cooker will then notify you when the rice is done.
You should allow the rice to rest for about 15 minutes before serving. This allows excess moisture to evaporate from the rice, so it is not wet and soggy.
As you can see, using a rice cooker for cooking rice is fast and straightforward. Once you try it, you will never be tempted to go back to your old method.